- the worlds of mainstream media and online reporters
- ‘judgements’ published on the British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BAILII) and ‘narratives’ determining the stories in mainstream media
- family courts and ‘ordinary’ courts.
‘Many more judgments must be published’
The President of the Family Division, Sir James Munby, has called for radical changes in the approach of the family courts and the Court of Protection to transparency.
Sir James’s comments were made in his judgment delivered in Re P (A Child)  EWHC 4048 (Fam). This was an application by Essex County Council for a reporting restriction order in relation to Alessandra Pacchieri, whose daughter, P, was delivered by caesarean section, by order of the Court of Protection, and was later taken into the care of Essex County Council.
The President’s judgment gives a detailed chronology of the key events in the case. In relation to the reporting of the court proceedings, he concludes:
“How can the family justice system blame the media for inaccuracy in the reporting of family cases if for whatever reason none of the relevant information has been put before the public?
“… This case must surely stand as final, stark and irrefutable demonstration of the pressing need for radical changes in the way in which both the family courts and the Court of Protection approach what for shorthand I will refer to as transparency. We simply cannot go on as hitherto. Many more judgments must be published. And, as this case so very clearly demonstrates, that applies not merely to the judgments of |High Court Judges; it applies also to the judgments of Circuit Judges.”
And Christopher Booker’s latest article is entitled: Lord Justice Munby probes ‘court secrecy’
- Top judge hits out at campaign to gag forced caesarian mother (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Sir James Munby: Caesarean mother case shows need for “radical change” in family courts (telegraph.co.uk)
- High Court judge condemns secrecy of family courts after scandal of mother’s emergency caesarean (telegraph.co.uk)
- CHEMICAL POISONING and other cover-ups in the UK: Official Solicitor, Court of Protection, DWP (lenlawrence.wordpress.com)
- From PA Media law: Judge comments on publishing family court reports (bruneljournalism.wordpress.com)
- ‘Social workers stole my baby': Forced caesarean mother tells of horrific ordeal (independent.co.uk)
- The ‘forced caesarian’ case must lead to greater openness in the family courts | Joshua Rozenberg (theguardian.com)
- Forced caesarean was ‘manifestly’ in Alessandra Pacchieri’s interest, says judge (telegraph.co.uk)
- I’ll never forget you my little Princess: Mother’s letter to baby taken in forced caesarean (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Caesarean case mother: Italian government to step into Alessandra Pacchieri adoption battle (telegraph.co.uk)
- Italy steps into international adoption battle in U.K. after woman’s baby removed in forced c-section (news.nationalpost.com)