The statistics were taken from the article published by the Daily Mail on 12.04.12: 10,000 Children taken into care: Numbers have doubled in the past four years
Lose your children for being ‘Too Poor – By James Chapman – Political Correspondent – Daily Mail – 22 August 2005
- More than 75% of care leavers have no academic qualifications of any kind.
- More than 50% of young people leaving care after 16 years are unemployed.
- 17% of young women leaving care are pregnant or already mothers.
- 10% of 16-17 year old claimants of DSS severe hardship payments have been in care.
- 23% of adult prisoners and 38% of young prisoners have been in care.
- 30% of young single homeless people have been in care.
Above source: The Children Leaving Care Bill [HL] Bill 134 1999-2000 PDF Document
The “under 5″ stats:
In 1996/1997 only 1000 children in care who were under 5 were adopted, but this figure rose steadily until 2005/2006 to a figure of 2500!
This increase of 150% in only 9 years was surely due to the frantic pursuit of “adoption targets” by over eager social workers seizing babies at or shortly after birth to be put into care and later adopted.Judges very rarely refuse social services adoption requests and routinely “dispense with the birth parent’s consent.”
Children looked after in England (including adoption and care leavers): 2005-2006 http://www.dfes.gov.uk
Private fostering arrangements reported to Local Authorities in England: Year Ending 31 March 2006 –http://www.dfes.gov.uk
● 2,490 under-fives in care were adopted in 2006, up from 1,010 in 1995.
● 4,160 under-fives were first taken into care in 2006, up from 2,870 in 1995.
● 1,300 babies aged younger than a month when they were taken into care were adopted in 2006, up from 540 in 1995.
● The average age at adoption in 2006 was four years and one month.
● 3,700 children were adopted from care in 2006, up from 2,700 in 2000.
Following the recent Panorama programme on adoptions ……
When Panorama makes a “commercial” for the fostering and adoption industry, suddenly “privacy” is no longer an issue.
CHILDREN IN CARE ARE NAMED AND INTERVIEWED for millions to watch, but if parents got together to make a film exposing the cruelty and corruption of the system they would all end up in jail for breaching their own children’s privacy!